Certified Practising Speech Pathologist, Owner and Clinical Director of Buzzwords Speech Pathology
BAppSc Speech Pathology, BA Psychology
Catherine is passionate about helping children become confident and effective communicators so that they can participate in every aspect of their lives.
Catherine holds a BAppSc of Speech Pathology from The University of Sydney and a BA in Psychology from the National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG). These qualifications and experience give her a unique set of skills for dealing with clients who are having communication, literacy and learning difficulties. Catherine maintains ongoing Professional Development to keep her skills up-to-date and evidence based.
Catherine has substantial experience in working with children from birth through adolescence who have complex communication needs. From helping toddlers learn to communicate to assisting older children with speech, language, literacy and social communication difficulties, Catherine is committed to maximising their communication ability.
Her approach is child centred, utilising the most suitable strategies to develop skills, while also keeping activities fun, practical and easy to replicate at home. Being a mum of three children, Catherine knows just how busy life can be and will work with you to help you fit strategies in to your daily life that will help your child's communication develop.
Catherine is a Certified Practicing Member of Speech Pathology Australia (SPA) and is an affiliate member of the American Speech- Language- Hearing Association (ASHA).
Catherine has completed additional training in many areas, including:
• Makaton (Key Word Sign)
• DIR / Floortime
• School Readiness (Phonics)
• Phonics based reading/spelling instruction
• Stuttering - The Lidcombe Program (Stuttering)
• Cert. Counselling
• Youth Mental Health First Aid
Catherine's experience working with children and adolescents (0 - 18 years) who have communication delays and disorders, includes, but is not limited to:
• Developmental Language Disorder
• Early Intervention
• Literacy – reading, written expression, spelling
• Learning difficulties
• Childhood Apraxia of Speech
• Phonological Disorders
• Developmental Delay • Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
• Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorders (ADD / ADHD)
• Hearing Impairment
• Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC)
Catherine established Buzzwords Speech Pathology with the aim of providing excellent Paediatric Speech Pathology services in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. Our Speech Pathologists are on a mission to help children and adolescents communicate to the best of their ability. We advocate for each person's right to communicate.
Call us on 0499 150 333 to book an appointment for your child.
Certified Practising Speech Pathologist
BAppSc Speech Pathology
Galia is highly skilled and experienced in the provision of Speech Pathology assessment and therapy services, from toddlers to teens. She is dedicated to helping children overcome their difficulties with speech, language, learning, stuttering, social skills, pre-literacy skills, school aged literacy (reading and writing).
Galia provides holistic child and family centred therapy, working collaboratively with each child’s family and with other professionals to achieve their communication goals.
Galia graduated with a Bachelor of Applied Sciences in Speech Pathology (Hons) from The University of Sydney. Since graduating, she has worked as a Paediatric Speech Pathologist in Sydney whilst also maintaining a commitment to ongoing professional development. Galia is registered with Speech Pathology Australia (SPA) as a Certified Practising Speech Pathologist and has over 20 years experience.
Galia has maintained her skills as a Speech Pathologist by completing a wide range of professional training courses to complement her BAppSc degree qualifications in Speech Pathology, such as;
• Literacy: MultiLit, The Spalding Method for teaching reading and writing, Sounds Write.
• Early communication: Hanen training in “It takes Two to Talk” and the principles of “More than Words.”
• Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC): Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS).
• Social Skills Training for children with high functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder: Secret Agent Society (SAS)
* The Speech Pathologists at Buzzwords Speech Pathology take a Synthetic Phonics approach to teaching reading and spelling, and we use decodable readers in our work with children.