Certified Practising Speech Pathologist, Owner and Clinical Director of Buzzwords Speech Pathology
BAppSc Speech Pathology, BA Psychology
Catherine is passionate about helping children become confident and effective communicators so that they can access every aspect of their lives; from building relationships to learning the curriculum at preschool/school.
Catherine works with children of all ages from birth right through the final years of high school; helping them reach their true communication potential.
Catherine established Buzzwords Speech Pathology with the aim of providing excellent Paediatric Speech Pathology services in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney. Our Speech Pathologists are on a mission to help children and adolescents communicate to the best of their ability. At the core of our service are our values of Communication, Connection and Collaboration. We advocate for each person's right to communicate.
Catherine holds a BAppSc of Speech Pathology from The University of Sydney and a BA in Psychology from the National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG). These qualifications and experience give her a unique set of skills for dealing with clients who are having communication, literacy and learning difficulties. Catherine maintains ongoing Professional Development to keep her skills up-to-date and science based.
Catherine is a Certified Practicing Member of Speech Pathology Australia (SPA) and is an affiliate member of the American Speech- Language- Hearing Association (ASHA).
Catherine has completed additional training in many areas, including:
• Makaton (Key Word Sign)
• DIR / Floortime
• School Readiness (Phonics)
• Phonics based reading/spelling instruction
• Stuttering - The Lidcombe Program (Stuttering)
• Cert. Counselling
• Youth Mental Health First Aid
Catherine has substantial experience such as, helping toddlers learn to communicate, as well as assisting older children with various speech, language, literacy and social communication difficulties. Her approach is to be child centred, utilising the most suitable strategies to develop skills, while also keeping activities fun, practical and easy to replicate at home.
Catherine's experience working with children and adolescents (0 - 18 years) who have communication delays and disorders, includes, but is not limited to:
• Developmental Language Disorder
• Early Intervention
• Literacy – reading, written expression, spelling
• Learning difficulties
• Childhood Apraxia of Speech
• Phonological Disorders
• Developmental Delay • Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
• Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorders (ADD / ADHD)
• Hearing Impairment
• Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC)
Certified Practising Speech Pathologist
BAppSc Speech Pathology
Galia provides holistic child and family centred therapy, working collaboratively with each child’s family and with other professionals to achieve their communication goals.
Galia graduated with a Bachelor of Applied Sciences in Speech Pathology (Hons) from The University of Sydney. Since graduating, she has worked as a Paediatric Speech Pathologist in Sydney whilst also maintaining a commitment to ongoing professional development. Galia is registered with Speech Pathology Australia (SPA) as a Certified Practising Speech Pathologist and has over 20 years experience.
Galia is highly skilled and experienced in the provision of assessment and therapy services for children, from toddlers to teenagers. She is dedicated to helping children overcome their difficulties with language, learning, articulation, stuttering, social skills, pre-literacy skills, school aged literacy (reading and writing) and others areas of communication.
In terms of professional development, Galia has completed various professional training courses to complement her BAppSc degree qualifications in Speech Pathology, such as;
• Literacy: MultiLit, The Spalding Method for teaching reading and writing, Sounds Write.
• Early communication: Hanen training in “It takes Two to Talk” and the principles of “More than Words.”
• Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC): Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS).
• Social Skills Training for children with high functioning Autism Spectrum Disorder: Secret Agent Society (SAS)
* The Speech Pathologists at Buzzwords Speech Pathology take a Synthetic Phonics approach to teaching reading and spelling, and we use decodable readers in our work with children.